Thursday, September 26, 2013

Burlap, sweet burlap!

 So this is the pillow that we are making in this post.  Hope you enjoy it. 
 For our pillow we used 1/2 yard of Osanburg fabric, for pillow back and front, and 4 yards of burlap. The Osanburg was cut into 2 pieces, so the one became the front, and the other is saved for the back of the pillow. The burlap was the narrow kind that is on a roll, but you could use yardage and cut it in strips. I'd say these were 4" wide.
 Originally, I tried to gather the burlap, and sew it on like that, but it just was too much, and the burlap ended up standing straight up. So I took the Osanburg and drew a circle as big as I wanted the outside of flower to be.  Then I took the one end of the burlap and started zig zagging it to the pillow front. I pleated it as I sewed, you'll kind of know how much to pleat it so it lays flat on the front of the pillow. I pleated some going left to right and some right to left, this was really done randomly.
 Once the outside circle was almost done, I started sewing the burlap in a spiral. I tried to keep it at an equal distance as I sewed the spiral.  When I was almost done, I pleated the center, so I could have a flower center,  and finished sewing with the machine.  I have a heavy duty sewing machine, and this just buzzed through this sewing.  I wasn't real happy with the center, so I took some thread, and stitched the center down.
 So here is the burlap sewn, you could make it fuller or narrower, or add some other ribbon throughout it, buttons, whatever you like. 
Then add the back piece and sew three sides together, and make sure that you don't catch the burlap when you are sewing. Turn this right side out and stuff with polyfil, hand stitch the one side closed.  Hope you have as much fun making your as we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment