Thursday, January 30, 2014

Back to the salt mine....

So here is the finished bowl, using salt dough recipe from earlier post. In case you don't want to look back, its 2 cups flour, 1 cup salt, and 1 cup water.  I like to show you the finished piece first, so you know what we are going to be doing and I think its easier to follow along.  So mix your dough up and roll it out.
 Again, the dough is about 1/4" thick and was rolled out on a floured surface.  I didn't use a whole batch of flour to do this bowl, I'd say about half, but if you are doing a large bowl, you will want to make more.  Just play with it and see what works, this is meant to be FUN!!!
 I thought a bowl this size would be kind of a good size to begin trying.  Your bowl will need to be oven safe.  I made sure I used spray on the bowl, so the dough would slip off when I was done with the baking process.  I thought about aluminum foil, but wasn't sure if the folds would make the inside of the bowl kind of wrinkley (I don't think that's a word, but I think you know what I mean) 
 I put the dough over the bowl, and cut away what was extra.  Kind of like a pie crust, if you make pies that way :)  And you are ready to put this bad boy in the oven,  bake it around 200 degrees, so it won't burn and it may take several hours. 
 Once the salt dough is baked, you can finish it however you like.  I used off white paint, I know it looks kind of white, and did an under coat.  Then because I didn't want the paint solid, I rubbed a candle over the outside of the bowl.  Then I painted the outside with brown acrylic paint.
 I put a sealer over all of the bowl, inside and out.  The inside of the bowl, did this crackle looking thing!  It's kind of cool, but I'm not sure why it did that.  The good thing about this process is, if you don't like it, you aren't out a lot of money.  But if you do like it, it's kind of cool. I'm using mine  as a catch all for "stuff"  Hope you have fun and let me know how yours turn out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment