Friday, December 20, 2013

Recyling a new way!

 These are pop cans that have been cut and painted. So let's gather our supplies and get going.  You will need a pop can, black acrylic craft paint, paprika, scissors, (hot glue gun and pliers-if making scoop)
 Wash out your pop can, we drink Pepsi, but any kind of can will work for you.
 I kind of made a paper template that looked something like this, I was sure if I didn't have some kind of a cutting guide I'd be in trouble. 
 You will want the rounded end toward the bottom of the can. I used a marker to give myself a cutting guide.
 Remember you will want to leave yourself about 1/2" or so from the bottom.
 Using a knife, cut a slit that you can put your utility scissors through.  I cut the top off, right by where the can tapers. Then you can cut your can following your cutting guide. If you are making a scoop, save the part you have cut off, take make the scoop handle.
 So from the side, it might look something like this.
 Here is the part we used for the handle.
 Fold the sides in with a pliers.  Someone ask if these edges are sharp.  I guess you could cut yourself, I've made several and haven't, but maybe not a craft I'd suggest doing with small children. 
 Here both edges are folded in and I folded in the ends too.
 Form it into the handle shape.
 And if you were making a scoop, here you would glue the handle on with hot glue, and then the finishing is all the same.
 Take your black paint and paint the inside and outside, while it is still wet, you will want to sprinkle this with Paprika. 
 I tried cinnamon as well, but I really liked the color and texture of paprika.  The cinnamon was more powdery, and it kind of disappeared in the paint, but the paprika made it look rusty.
We were able to punch a hole in the top center, with a paper punch, I was surprised at how easy it was to punch through.
We added some pine and homespun tie, and a little timer candle.  How cute would these be for on your Christmas table by your table settings.  Also would be great for bridal showers, with different color paints.  Hope you have fun and we would love to see your version of this project!  Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment