Thursday, November 28, 2013

Snowballs that won't melt!

 This is so much fun to do, if you don't mind a little mess! Well, actually it's a lot of mess.
Here are the finished snowballs, with some pines and lights. So let's get started making snowballs..
 I'm lucky to have a thrift store just down the street from where we live, and I was able to pick up a box of these ornaments 20 for $1.00.  So you will need them plus a scissors, and joint compound.
 These ornaments have a styrofoam ball on the inside of them.  If you want to use a styrofoam ball, you can, but I think they can be expensive.  But if you have a good source, where you can get these balls, for not a lot of money, go for it!
 So to use these ornaments, pop the hanger off the top and cut off the nylon stringy parts of the color.  I'm not sure this is nylon, but you'll see it reminds you of ribbons.  Once you get it started, it sort of peels off. And on the inside you will have a styrofoam ball.
 Now for more mess!  I didn't take a picture of this part, messy hands don't take pictures well!  I got this joint compound at Walmart for 2.97, so you can tell I don't have a lot of money tied up in this craft, just time and mess!  Smear this all around your styrofoam balls.  If you want your balls to be really smooth, you can smooth the joint compound out, I left my kind of bumpy.  But make it look how you like it.
 I put mine on waxed paper and put them on a cookie sheet.  They will air dry if you like, but I put mine in the oven and turned on the light.  I do have an electric oven, so I'm not sure how this would work in a gas oven.  If I were doing this again, now is when I would sprinkle them with glitter or mica.  I didn't mine, until they were totally dry and then I sprayed them with spray adhesive and then sprinkled it on .  So that part is up to you, or you can leave it all altogether if you like.
When they were dry, I put them in a treen trough and added some lights and greens.

No comments:

Post a Comment